4th Saturday of every month, 2:00 – 4:00pm except major holidays)
Artesia School - 1876-1961
Artesia School was originally located on Artesia Avenue west of the city of Lompoc. Named for a nearby Artesian well that dried up shortly after the school opened in 1876, Artesia was the first of twelve early country schools built in the Lompoc Valley. These country schools served the educational needs of farming families who could not get into town. A true one-room schoolhouse, students in first through eighth grades attended together. Artesia’s continuous use over 85 years ended with its closure in 1961. The building was then used for storage until a fire destroyed part of a later addition. The original one-room schoolhouse survived, however, and was moved to its present location on the El Camino school site at Chestnut and H Streets in 1972.
Artesia School Museum - EST. 1995
The historic school building was fully restored and refurbished by the Lompoc Valley Historical Society and the Lompoc Museum with many of its original furnishings and fixtures donated by former students. Through the combined efforts of the Lompoc Museum, the Lompoc Valley Historical Society, and the Lompoc Unified School District, the Artesia School Museum was opened to the public in 1995. It is a major stop on the History Bus Tour conducted by Lompoc Museum docents. The Artesia Schoolhouse is a City and County Landmark.